(LOW CARB - GLUTEN FREE) German chocolate zucchini cake

Learn how to make a chocolate zucchini cake!

A delicious low carb gluten free German chocolate cake. This paleo friendly coconut flour based zucchini chocolate cake is super moist and flavorful.


Last week, I was away on a business trip in Virginia. There was one evening when I saw a delicious looking German chocolate cake sitting in a meeting room.
It had been a long time since I had that yummy dessert, and it’s one I used to enjoy as a child. So, I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
When I got home from the trip, my husband said there were several large zucchini in the garden that would be great for making bread. I was more into making a low carb gluten free German chocolate cake.
I modified a zucchini bread recipe and turned it into a chocolate zucchini cake. To give it a spongy cake texture, I opted to use coconut flour.
From experience, I find coconut flour provides a more light and spongy texture that I’m used to with baked goods. Nut flours like almond are too heavy.
This gluten free German chocolate cake turned out to be a very moist. I didn’t drain the zucchini after it was shredded.
Because we had quite a bit of zucchini on hand, I added a lot to the batter. And, I wanted it to be very rich so I added some sugar free chocolate chips. But, you can leave out the chips if you’d rather not add in the extra carbs.
The coconut pecan frosting was amazing! If you don’t like German Chocolate cake, you can use a vanilla or chocolate frosting instead. The cake itself is the best low carb chocolate cake recipe I’ve tried!
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sweetener
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil 
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups zucchini 
  • 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips


Pecan coconut frosting:

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup sweetener 
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

How it's made:

CAKE:

  1. Stir together coconut flour, cocoa, sweetener, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  2. Mix in eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
  3. Pour mixture into greased pan (I used a 9×9).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

FROSTING:

  1. Combine almond milk, sweetener, egg yolk and butter in a saucepan.
  2. Heat over medium heat. When bubbles form, sprinkle in xanthan gum.
  3. Continue heating until thickened.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans.
  5. Spread mixture over cooled cake.
If you like our recipes, be sure to stay tuned on our Facebook page where we publish only the best recipes daily! To go to our page, click here!